Central School House.
The Central School House was one of three district schools built in 1844 — along with the Western and Eastern (still standing) — each to serve a three-grade cohort: primary, intermediate and grammar. Henry David Thoreau may have been referring to this building when he described a school house “filled with sand up to the tops of the desks.” Its site is now a parking lot.
¶ Last updated on 20 August 2016. ¶ Image courtesy of the Provincetown History Provincetown Project, George W. Ferguson Collection, Page 5094.