Former Provincetown Florist.
This Second Empire-style house, built around 1870-1875, loomed large over the Old Colony railyard. Menalkas Duncan, a prominent leather crafter — and Isadora Duncan’s nephew — bought it in 1955 and used it as the Duncan Sandal Shop. It’s since been an office, the Provincetown Fabric Shop, and a flower shop, which Maghi Geary (pictured) and Laura Darsch acquired in 1988 and renamed Provincetown Florist. Their employee of longest standing was Kim Oliver, whose father worked at Duarte Motors next door. Their love of the business and of dogs, their professionalism, and their artistry were evident. Customers included Bea Arthur, Sebastian Junger, José Quintero, Barbra Streisand, and Lily Tomlin. After 28 years in business here, Geary closed the store in 2015, following the the acquisition of this and abutting Duarte family properties by the Riley family.
¶ Adapted from Building Provincetown (2015).