Built between 1870 and 1890, 15 Alden Street is still distinguished by the ornamental brackets supporting a hood over the front door. Charles Brown, a fisherman, owned the house in the 1910s. A fire broke out in January 1917, but Brown was able to contain it with a garden hose before the firefighters arrived. “Mice and matches are thought to have been responsible for the outbreak,” The Advocate reported. John O. Costa (b ±1887), a fisherman, and his wife, Elvira S. Costa (b ±1895) were the property owners in the 1950s. The 1981 town census showed two Portuguese natives living here: Ofelia Costa (b 1923), a chambermaid, and J. J. Marcelino (b 1924), a fisherman. The owner since 1998 has been Jose Estelino Santos Ferreira, through the Ofelia Costa Life Estate. Ofelia herself was still here in 2012.
¶ Last updated on 25 October 2012.