Steve Tom Nickerson Wharf.
Stephen Thomas Nickerson (1824-1893), a grandson of the Stephen Nickerson who built what is now called the 1807 House, at 54 Commercial Street, constructed this 500-foot-long wharf in the mid-19th century. It was used principally by trapmen — that is, fishermen who set traps in the shallow waters of the harbor — and by Grand Bankers, schooners that would range more than 900 miles to the extraordinarily rich fishing grounds southeast of Newfoundland. Codfish hauled back from the Grand Banks would be washed and dried on racks known as flakes at the Steve Tom Nickerson Wharf, according to a history of Provincetown’s wharves written in 1941.¹
For a view of the Western Cold Storage, please see 55-57 Commercial Street.
For a view of the West End Boat Launch, please see 55-57 Commercial Street.
For a view of the West End Lot, please see 55-57 Commercial Street.
For a view of the West End Lot Beach, please see 55-57 Commercial Street.
For a view of Warren Witherstine Square, please see 55-57 Commercial Street.
¶ Last updated on 28 June 2018. ¶ Image from Bird’s Eye View of the Town of Provincetown (1882), by A. F. Poole, courtesy of the Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library, Call No. G3764.P78A3 1882.P6.
¹ Rogers, Irving S., “Puffs and Pot Shots,” The Provincetown Advocate, 9 October 1941, Page 2.