Capt. Stephen Nickerson (1793-1879) | Gifford.
The 1,000-foot-long Union Wharf, constructed in about 1830-31 at what is now 99-101 Commercial Street, was one of the largest and most important wharves in town. A marine railway at the end drew vessels up to a building with a large notch in its gabled roof to accommodate bowsprits, so that the hull could be brought that much higher and closer. The Union was the second big wharf built in town, developed by Captain Nickerson; his cousins, Capt. Jonathan Nickerson and Thomas Nickerson; and Capt. Samuel Soper. The marine railway was added in 1852. An entire outfitting complex on this wharf included a blacksmith shop, a shed where pulley blocks were made, a sail loft, a rigging yard, and a mackerel-packing house. The ship chandlery there was called the West End Market. The wharf was wrecked in the Portland Gale of 1898, but Nickerson Street is only 80 yards away. [Lot No. 81.]
¶ Last updated on 24 February 2018.
Provincetown’s Historic Cemeteries and Memorials, Key G-9, Page 4.
Find a Grave Memorial No. 120782894.