Race Point Light Assistant Keepers’ House.
How can it be that the assistant keeper’s house was so much larger than the keeper’s house? Because it was actually the assistant keepers’ house — two assistant keepers, two families. It was constructed in 1874 to supplement the original stone keeper’s house. (The current keeper’s house was built two years later.) By 1960, the dwelling “was deemed unneeded and was soon demolished and the site graded,” James W. Claflin wrote in Historic Cape Cod Lighthouses: Race Point.
¶ Last updated on 16 April 2017. ¶ Image from the author’s collection.