Provincetown Municipal Airport | Lockheed 10 Electra.
The Electra’s distinctive double tail calls to mind the unforgettable triple tail of Lockheed’s later Constellation. The twin-engine, 11-passenger aircraft went into service in 1935. A highly modified version of the Electra served as Amelia Earhart’s aircraft in 1937 for an intended round-the-world flight that ended with her disappearance over the Pacific. The Provincetown-Boston Airline bought its first Electra in 1952. It “contributed greatly in the increase in Provincetown-Boston passengers,” John C. Van Arsdale wrote that year, when PBA carried 5,044 persons.
¶ Last updated on 12 March 2017. ¶ Image courtesy of the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum.