Provincetown Municipal Airport | Stinson SM-8A Detroiter.
Meet “Willie.” This six-seat passenger airliner, constructed in 1930, served for many years in taxi-yellow livery as Provincetown’s sightseeing plane, operated by John C. Van Arsdale Sr. of the Provincetown-Boston Airline, who acquired it in 1954. After the demise of PBA, it came into the hands of the partners Barbara Gard and Gwen Bloomingdale, 13 Pilgrim Heights Road, who operated Willie Air Tours out of Provincetown in summer and Titusville, Fla, in winter. They were killed in 2001 off Iceland in the early stage of a round-the-world trip aboard their twin-engine Aero Commander. “Willie” is now owned by Bob Callary, Dave Walsh, and Dave Stetson, and is based in Naples, Fla. It is still airworthy.
¶ Last updated on 13 March 2017. ¶ Image by Jim Wolf; courtesy of the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum, Clive E. Driver Collection.