Provincetown Tennis Club | DNA Gallery.
A synergy you’d only find in P’town: tennis club and art gallery. They are both housed in a structure built by Gladys Miller Rokos and used by the Tennis Club of Provincetown, founded in 1924 by Charles Hawthorne, Dr. Percival Eaton, Henry Winslow, and others; then by the East End Tennis Club, founded and owned by the commercial artist Lauren Cook; and then, beginning in 1950, by the Provincetown Yacht and Tennis Club, also founded by Cook. It has five Har-Tru clay courts and two hard courts. But no more yachts. It’s just the Provincetown Tennis Club. In the 1940s, Jerry Farnsworth (1895-1982) used the upstairs space for art classes. Through the early ’90s, the upper floor was the cooperative Provincetown Group Gallery. Today, it is the well-regarded DNA Gallery, founded in 1994 by the artist Nick Lawrence, who also directs Freight + Volume in Manhattan. Among the artists represented here are Tabitha Vevers and Jay Critchley.
¶ Adapted from Building Provincetown (2015).