Harbor Mist Condominium (Unit 1).
The Old Whaler Cottages formed the kind of modest cottage colony around a central courtyard that one would expect to see out at Beach Point. But here it was near the middle of town. (Of course, it was not much less exposed to the elements; a hurricane in 1947 left one of the cottages partly upended.) Beginning in the early 1930s, the complex was known as the Old Whaler, under the proprietorship of John Perry Woods (±1897-1952), the son of John P. and Monica D’Avellar Woods. After Woods’s death, the property passed to his wife, Caroline (Silva) Woods, who kept running the place for another six years until she turned it over to her son, Robert L. Woods, and his wife, Bertha L. Woods. In 1967, the Bass River Savings Bank of South Yarmouth moved to foreclose on the Woods. The next summer, the Old Whaler became Bo’s Nest Cottages. In 1978, the property was acquired from Bass River by James P. McCabe, John F. Rehermann, Edward J. Rogers Jr., and John M. Zitaglio. McCabe and Zitaglio created the Windswept Condominium in 1982. The six-unit compound is now called Harbor Mist. Unit 1, with 420 square feet, was purchased in 1996 by Peter C. Newton.
¶ Last updated on 17 November 2016.