A striking articulation of Greek Revival style, this house (about 1840-1860) is further distinguished by the orientation of its setback ell, which creates an appealing front courtyard. In the late 1940s and early ’50s, this was the home of Charles F. Ross, the superintendent of schools, and his wife, Marjorie Ferranti. It has rarely been used for any public purpose, though in the 1950s it served briefly as the summertime branch of the Boris Mirski Gallery. Mirski (1898-1974) had his main gallery at 166 Newbury Street in Boston. Tim Barry, the owner of Tim’s Books, 242 Commercial Street, bought this building in 2002 and substantially restored it eight years later. The Bradford Street property actually abuts that of Tim’s Books, which Barry has owned since 1996.
¶ Last updated on 9 May 2011.