Houses move around town all the time; they are unnervingly peripatetic. But this house moved to 27 Brewster Street all the way from Truro, not long after the Old Colony Railroad was extended to the cape tip in 1873. It was built around 1850 by Mr. Hamilton, “one of the pillars of the Truro Congregational Church. One Sunday after service he announced to his family that, due to dissension in the church, it was impossible to continue living in Truro. He sawed his house into four sections, had it carried to Provincetown on railway flat cars and reassembled it.” He also imported locust trees from Truro.
¶ Last updated on 10 January 2010.