Summer Winds Condominium.
Particularly along its Bradford Street frontage, and especially at night, the Summer Winds condo looks exactly like the motel it used to be: the Shamrock Motel and Cottages, operated by Marilyn J. (Cote) Downey (±1932-2012) and her husband, John W. “Jack” Downey (d 1984). Its history as a lodging can be traced back to the days of Mary C. Perry, when the compound was known as Perry’s Cottages. Gladys (Kenney) Bornstein (±1902-1964) of Manhattan bought the property in 1954 and continued to run it as Perry’s Cottages until her death. The property was sold in 1968 by her widower, Solomon K. Bornstein, to the Downeys. They had already begun operating the Shamrock Motel Apartments at 9 Soper Street. And the Shamrock empire would go on to include Shamrock Village, a cottage compound at Shank Painter Road and Brown Street that is now called Shank Painter Common. Marilyn was the daughter of Thomas and Anna Cote, and attended Provincetown High School. She was a board member of the Cape End Manor and its successor, Seashore Point. She served as the secretary of the Chamber of Commerce and belonged to the Nautilus Club, to the Democratic Town Committee, and to the Church of St. Peter the Apostle, on whose new building committee she served after the church burned down in 2005.
That also happened to be the year that the Shamrock did not apply for a renewal of its lodging license. Instead, Sheila Long created the Summer Winds Condominium: 11 units in four buildings. Six are in the double-deck motel building at the east end of the site; the two largest units are in the building connected to the motel by a breezeway; and three two-story cottages account for one more condo unit each.
¶ Last updated on 17 July 2016.
Leo E. Gracie wrote on 19 June 2014: Prior to the Shamrock, the property was owned by Jack and Jean Bournstein of New York City as a “stay-busy project” for his dying wife. She rented three small one-story cottages. I lived next door and mowed their lawn.