In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the two-story home of Nathan R. Freeman stood on this site, which was then denominated 118 Commercial Street. (The house is outlined in red on the street atlas map.) Freeman was identified in a 1901 directory as a Methodist sexton, presumably at the nearby Centenary Church at 170 Commercial Street (rather than the more distant Center Church, 356 Commercial Street). The house was all but surrounded by a lumber and coal yard, and then by the Cape Cod Cold Storage Company freezer complex. But it lasted at least through 1919. By then, the residents may have tired of waking up to the smell of fish gurry. The home was replaced within a decade by an appliance showroom. That building, too, is long gone. The site is now a fenced-in lawn at the northwest corner of the Station Provincetown complex.
¶ Last updated on 18 December 2018.
127 Commercial Street on the Town Map.
Also at 127 Commercial Street:
Thumbnail image: Sanborn Fire Insurance Map From Provincetown, Barnstable County, Massachusetts (1889), at the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division. Digital ID No. g3764pm.g038261889.