Red Inn (Wilkinson addition).
The era of the Red Inn began in 1914 when the Strachauer family sold 15 Commercial Street to Henry Wilhelm Wilkinson (1869-1931), a prominent architect in the Arts and Crafts movement. A Cornell graduate, Wilkinson worked in Boston for Ralph Adams Cram before being hired in 1900 by the Gustave Stickley Company in Syracuse, N.Y., where he is credited with having helped design Stickley’s line of “New Furniture.” In 1909-1911, Wilkinson was the designer and one of the developers of the Harperly Hall coöperative apartment building at Central Park West and West 64th Street in Manhattan, praised by Christopher Gray in The New York Times as an “Arts and Crafts masterpiece.”
In Provincetown, Wilkinson doubled the size of the Strachauer House with an adjoining structure to the south; virtually an echo of the original Atkins home, complete with hipped roof, but offset slightly to the west. This expanded building was inaugurated in 1915 as the Red Inn, run by Wilkinson’s sister, Marion Wilkinson (1861-1932), until her death.
For an overview of the Red Inn, please see 15 Commercial Street.
¶ Last updated on 29 April 2018. ¶ Image courtesy of the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum. (Published by the Advocate Gift Shop.)