Thomas Rider Whorf Jr. (1815-1887) and Philip A. Whorf (1841-1916).
Whorf’s Wharf. Could there possibly be a better name in Provincetown? And what legacy adhered to the wharf, which stood roughly at what is now 537 Commercial Street in the East End. Thomas Whorf built it and passed it on to his son, Philip, who was “the last of the ‘Old Guard’ Grand Banks salt cod fleet owners and outfitters,” Amy Whorf McGuiggan — his second cousin, four times removed — wrote in Provincetown’s Historic Cemeteries and Memorials. The wharf was demolished a year after Philip’s death. “Another link that bound the town’s past and present has been broken,” The Advocate noted in 1917, sounding as if it might have been speaking of our own time. Thomas and Philip are both memorialized here, as are Thomas’s wife, Alvina (Paine) Whorf (1818-1890), and his parents, Thomas Rider Whorf (1788-1868) and Elizabeth A. (Snow) Whorf (1788-1869). The wharf Whorfs and the artistic Whorfs have John Whorf II as a common ancestor.
¶ Last updated on 20 November 2017.
Provincetown’s Historic Cemeteries and Memorials, Key O-15, Page 5.
Find a Grave Memorials Nos. 144153103 (Thomas), 144153226 (Elizabeth), 119792702 (Thomas Jr.), 119849998 (Alvina), and 119850478 (Philip).