The Twin Bays studio apartments is one of the most immaculately maintained houses in the West End. Passers-by in summertime can count on seeing its window boxes in profuse bloom. There are twin bay windows on the ground floor and twin attic windows. Built around 1820, this was the Prince Freeman house on Long Point. It was in the center of the settlement, on the shores of Lobster Plain. George S. Payne (1860-1938), a lithographer and minor painter from Springfield, who depicted old wharves and fish houses in the late 19th century, once owned this house. Patrick P. Trani (1936-2015) acquired this property in 1963. He owned it with T. Wallace Head until 1966, then by himself until 2003, when he was joined on the deed by Timothy Alan (Chappel) Trani, who was to become Trani’s husband.
The house between Twin Bays and the harbor, 49A Commercial Street, is an entirely separate property, a situation that led to hard feelings and litigation years ago — some of which is discussed in the 49A Commercial entry.
¶ Last updated on 21 June 2018.