A marvel of bays, turret, gambrel roof, and deep porch, Sandhurst was the summer home from the 1910s through the 1940s of Augustus W. Smith (1864-1942) and Flora May (Anderson) Smith (1870-1950) of Philadelphia. Smith managed the shoe department at the great department store Strawbridge & Clothier for 38 years. The couple moved permanently from Philadelphia to Provincetown in 1933 and he died at Sandhurst nine years later. The building was still standing in 1948, but was subsequently demolished.
¶ Last updated on 6 May 2018. ¶ Image courtesy of the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum. (Published by The Provincetown Advocate.)