Kenneth Stubbs (1907-1967).
There are few townscapes as joyfully expressive, geometric, and colorful as the works of Kenneth Stubbs, a native of Georgia who attended the Corcoran School of Art. Strongly influenced by Cubists like Juan Gris and Georges Braque, Stubbs came to Provincetown in 1931 to study with his friend E. Ambrose Webster, and was regarded as having been among the earlier proponents of Modernism in the staid art colony. Stubbs and Miriam Margolies were wed in 1948. Twelve years later, they bought the property at 284 Bradford Street from Mischa and Helen Richter. The sculptor of his memorial stone was the prolific Conrad Malicoat (1936-2014), of 320R Bradford Street, to whom the nearby memorial sculptures for Dr. Clara Mabel Thompson (1893-1958) and Irving J. Marantz (1912-1972) are also credited. Malicoat also made and set the plaque for the gravestone of Robert Motherwell (1915-1991). The original Stubbs sculpture was taken from grave site years ago. Its replacement, also by Malicoat, was recently reinstalled — at Miriam’s request — by the sculptor’s niece, Breon Dunigan. A photograph of the original can be found on Page 73 of Book 3 in the Scrapbooks of Althea Boxell (Provincetown History Preservation Project, Page 1088.)
¶ Last updated on 30 August 2018. ¶ Image courtesy of Robena Malicoat.