Capt. Jonathan Nickerson (1781-1871).
Having escaped British captivity during the War of 1812 — no small feat, since he was commanding a vessel at the time and had to sail her out of gun range without notice — Captain Nickerson went to serve as an important force behind the construction of what is now known the Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, Provincetown’s single most beautiful building. He was a third-generation sea captain and ship owner. With his brother Thomas Nickerson (1791-1852) and his first cousin Capt. Stephen Nickerson (1793-1879), he founded the Union Wharf Company and built the Union Wharf, at what is now 99-101 Commercial Street. Fun fact: His lifespan is a palindrome, reading the same backward and forward.
¶ Last updated on 28 August 2018.
Provincetown’s Historic Cemeteries and Memorials, Key O-10, Page 4.